Tuesday, January 31, 2012

#16: NO MORE No-More-Carbs! (Also known as Challenge #1 COMPLETE!)

Thank Jesus. 


I remember about 4 days into this month thinking that the end would never come. But it did. REJOICE!!!






Overall, I would say that this Challenge wasn't as hard as I made it. That's not quite the right way to explain it ... the challenge of eating low-carbs in and of itself was not hard. But sticking to something when I got bored of it, sticking to something so that I could say i was a total success, sticking it out when I was feeling sad/upset/bored/any other emotion I usually manage with food, was what was difficult. And, if I'm being honest, I could have done better. 


I did learn some good information about food and your body's intake/management of food. I think there are some great permanent changes coming from this 30-Day Challenge. I expect to be eating a more balanced diet, making healthier options overall, to care about what I put in my body, and to notice how my body/mind/energy feels and acts after I put said things into it. That's a great plus from these 30(31) days. 


Down side is that I didn't stick it all the way out. I indulged over the past 3-4 days on more than the 20 allotted grams of carbohydrates. I didn't "stick it out to the very end" which is something I really need to do to feel accomplished. And I could have done it. I don't know if it's because I lost focus, I subconsciously didn't want the success, I was afraid of being successful, I simply lack will-power (which is clear, but is that ALL it was or is that a great excuse?). 


The great thing is that I have another chance starting tomorrow. And I'd like to see myself stick it all the way out. It's important to me, after this month's experience, that I run full-speed all the way thru the finish line and not start trotting or walking or race-walking (a reference for some of you 80s geeks) as I see it approaching. 


CHALLENGE #1 - FINAL GRADE: B


It's on to February now. As a reminder, Challenge #2 is cardio and/or strength training 6 days each week. The important rules of the Challenge are:
1. 6 days each week, with 1 rest day
2. 30+ minutes per workout to count it
3. 2+ days of strength and 3+ days of cardio/week
4. Find some variety


This is no joke. It seems like it's a nothing task to do something you don't normally do for just 30 days. It's only a month for goodness sake. But doing anything you don't want to do with any amount of gusto is hard. I faked it a lot and it showed. I half-assed it a lot and that showed too. If I was really going hard, I would have gone hard. I'm committed to these Challenges and the motivation behind doing them. So if I'm committed to that, I need to commit to doing them as a committed person, with commitments. 


I congratulate myself for getting it done and for not failing at it. 


I am hopeful for an improved performance next go 'round. 


Here's to carbs (tomorrow, of course)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment