Tuesday, January 17, 2012

#10: Why You Makin Waffles in My House???

I woke up to a whiny toddler this morning so clearly today is gonna be GREAT. 


My kids had been asking for waffles since last weekend so today was definitely the day. But, alas, we were out of Bisquick. And flour. So, now what? Well, if you live in my house, the OBVIOUS answer is: HEAD TO TARGET. At 8am. On a Sunday. 


The kids and I went in armed with a shopping list of 9 things:
  1. Bisquick
  2. Fruit
  3. Veggies
  4. Evaporated milk
  5. Soy Milk
  6. Ground turkey
  7. Pork Chops
  8. Bathroom scale
  9. Baby/Doggy gate
Clearly I forgot item #10: "$200 worth of other things we didn't need but couldn't help ourselves in the Sunday morning hunger fog."

Stupid fantastic world of Target. 

Apparently the paparazzi got a picture of me shopping this morning. Dang. 
So we get back to the house and the waffles begin. To be exact, everyone else in the house partook in Crispy Cinnamon Waffles. I did not. But I did read the recipe and one full 4-section waffle was 39g of carb. Meaning one bite would have been about 5g. Not bad. 

The rest of the day is going to include playoff NFL games, cleaning and the Golden Globes so I have to be extra careful of my intake. There won't be a lot of opportunity to burn it back off. 

Lunch was - as I said it would be - left over BBQ. I ate brisket, sausage and beans only. But it wasn't nearly as satisfying. Interesting how having to eat healthier because of the low-carb challenge has also led me to dislike certain tastes and flavors. There might be something to the whole Eat Healthy, Be Healthy thing. Maybe our bodies DO know better. CURSES!!!

Dinner has been planned since last night when the kids wanted to make the same dinner at home as we cooked at Ronald McDonald House. Turkey meatloaf and trice baked potatoes with green beans and fruit salad it is. Lucky for me, I don't really care about potatoes so dinnertime will be YUMS. Lots of people don't like meatloaf, but a good meatloaf can't be beat. 



I always mix ground beef and ground turkey. The turkey is  lighter, healthier and absorbs flavors better. Mix one pound of each with dijon mustard, canned tomato sauce, chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne for kick, salt, pepper. Form onto cookie sheet or into pound-cake pan. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes



Twice baked potatoes are easy: slightly under bake potatoes (about an hour at 350), split in half and gut them. Place halved skins onto cookie sheet. Mix potato guts with butter, sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper and then fill shells. Cook again for 15 minutes at 350. 



Other good recipes for both here:
MEATLOAF

TWICE BAKED POTATOES
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/twice-baked-potatoes-recipe/index.html

=================================================================

Can we take a minute to talk about this weekend's playoff games? I called the 49ers win over the Saints. Only I thought it wished it to be the Lions instead of the Saints and then the Lions over the 49ers. But once it was the 49ers, I knew Brees was gonna get an extra month this off-season. 



I was disturbingly uninterested in the Broncos-Patriots game given the Tebow thing gets on my last nerve and I HATE Brady. I try not to hate too many things, but Brady makes that hard. I respect his talent - which I readily admit he has - but he is so whiny! No one besides The Toddler and Brady whine that much. It's gross. Dude, you are a grown-ass man with 2 kids, one super sexy ex, a supermodel wife, millions of dollars, a golden arm. What are you whining about? GETitTOGETHER!

SHUT. UP.
Other than wanting to know who I'll be rooting for AGAINST the Patriots next weekend, there was no reason to watch/care about the Texans-Ravens game. But I'll be all about the purple on Sunday. 

The game of the weekend? Giants-Packers. I really dislike Green Bay. I liked Favre. I like Rodgers. But the GIANTS are my shit. I love the Seahawks - went to every game for years - but they never showed up this season. I love the Lions - grew up with a Michigan-born father who spoon fed me Detroit/Michigan sports - but they lost control last weekend and let the Niners win. That leaves me Manning and the Giants. Plus, how great is it to have a 15-1 regular season team LOSE like hell in the Conference Semis? Love those stories. Plus, I bet a pretty penny on it so the win was really a WIN. 

WINNING. 
=================================================================

So with a day of football playoffs and indulgent celebrity award shows, I have to be thoughtful about what I will eat. No doubt I will be hungry which means I'll eat. No doubt I will be bored which means I will eat. No doubt the kids will expect to get fed which means I'll eat. 

Grapes and sugar-free Jello for sweets. Cookies for everyone else. 
Celery and carrots for crunch. Chips for everyone else. 
Cheese and walnuts for protein. Peanut butter for everyone else. 
Vanilla Coke Zero for carbonation. Beer/Rootbeer for everyone else. 


The Boy and I even ventured out to a bar to eat and watch the BIG game. It was important for me to see the Giants win on a big screen! I needed to stay low-carb but wanted alcohol. I started with a Michelob Ultra. Sorry, but NO. There was no taste so the only reason to drink it would have been to get a buzz but that would have taken 4 I'm sure and by that time I might as well have had one good beer. So I set that aside and moved on to Diet Coke, Bombay and lime. Good, low-enough carb and way better after that "beer."


See?? Even in the face of FOOTBALL and AWARD SHOWS I am determined to get a "W." 


=================================================================


Then it's Monday, January 16th aka DAY SIXTEEN aka Dr. Martin Luther King Day


A 3-day weekend after a 4-day weekend after an 11-day vacation. I'm either going to incredibly well-rested and refreshed after January, or I'm going to be sluggish. You know what they say: "Sleep begets sleep." The earlier to bed, the more I sleep' the more I sleep, the more I sleep. 




I started the day with 2 eggs and bacon. And coffee, of course. But then the loafing kicked in. I was feeling lazy, sluggish ... so I guess the answer is NOT refreshed from all the time off. I honestly believe that I'm built for being busy. When I'm under-scheduled, when I'm not busy enough, when I don't have anything to do, I become a total couch-potato. 


And the result of being a lazy bum is that i either don't eat or I want to eat like shit. It's funny how being active and eating well makes me want to eat well and be active; and being lazy and eating like crap make me want to eat like crap and be lazy. Just shows me that the mental-state I get in from exercise and good-for-me food is all-around good for me. 


Now if I could just stay focused on that understanding. 


I really didn't find myself hungry most of the day, what with the total laziness and lack of movement. I snacked on low-fat string cheese and pecans when I got a little hunger. Dinner was boring, but good. Just left-overs of meatloaf and some broccoli. 


God help me. I'm over today and it's total lack of energy, motivation, excitement. I need tomorrow, so I'm going to bed. 


=================================================================


Tuesday, January 17th: DAY SEVENTEEN


Yesterday's total ... apathy had me on the edge of giving up on this. I had this debate with myself:
BAD Cat:       "This is getting boring!"
GOOD Cat:   "Uh, maybe that's because your lazy ass isn't being creative in the kitchen."
BAD Cat:       "Uh, maybe that's because there is nothing left to try."
GOOD Cat:   "Yeah, that's probably true. Low-carb food is limited to all of 5 items. You're screwed."
BAD Cat:       "Whatever. I've clearly shown that I can master this. It's time to move on."
GOOD Cat:   "See?? That's your problem in the first place. You can't stick with things when they become a real push."
BAD Cat:       "Don't repeat my words to me. You got that from my blog." 
GOOD Cat:   "Then you already know this. So suck it up and finish strong. Get creative. You aren't quitting."
BAD Cat:      "I hate you."


*Blank stare* 


 So, fine, I'm sticking with it. 


The other thing yesterday's apathy did to me was make me miss the half way point. Yesterday was Day 16 - 15 down and 15 to go. Yes!! So now it's all downhill from here. It's time to buckle down and get thru this. 


Oh and figure out what I'm doing with February. 




[[SUGGESTION BOX IS OPEN TO ANYONE WITH IDEAS FOR MY FEBRUARY CHALLENGE]]


I'm currently typing from my bad covered with 27 blankets because I'm feeling like CRAP. I'm skipping work, and so far, skipping food. But I know better ... learned my lesson yesterday. 




So as soon as I finish typing this, I'm headed downstairs for a bacon-mushroom-onion-zuccini omelet. Yum. I'm even planning my lunch: salad. 


And being home means I can be really thoughtful about dinner. We have crazy Tuesday, of course, with puppy training which requires leaving the house at 5pm, and The Nephew's basketball game which means we won't be home before 8:30pm. So dinner is going to be pre-made and coming with us to the game. 


That is only unfortunate because I'm in the mood to get my creativity back in the kitchen and won't get to cook. But maybe I can prepare and prep for tomorrow's dinner... 


Okay ... off to eat it up! Maybe it will even make me feel better??



No comments:

Post a Comment