Saturday, January 7, 2012

#5: WARNING: Brain Atrophy

I am finding that I can't remember anything. It's interesting because ... because ...

I forgot what I was going to say. 

I was afraid this would happen when I read about all the harmful effects of eating no carbs. I have actually put a lot of thought into what I read and decided to edit this month's challenge from NO carbs to LOW carbs.

New rules: up to 20g of carbs daily. Carbs must be unrefined and have high fiber content. Examples include barley, carrots, corn, fruit, brown rice. I will still stay away from pasta, potatoes, whites (food, not people), sugar.

And let's be clear, this is simply because I am concerned for my health. I mean, I was beginning to feel my brain clouding and my kidneys shutting down. 



Harmful effects of NO CARB diet

So yesterday, DAY SIX began with getting ready to leave town. Because I knew I wouldn't have my comforts and would be on the go most of the next 4 days, I set myself up with a couple of healthy snacks and water go packs. I found myself anxious about what my food journey would hold over the next few days.
But here I go anyway.

Checked in with too much time to kill, I hunted down no-carb breakfast. (Yes, at this point I was still doing no-carb.) When making a list of my smartest choices over the past few months, finding healthy(er) food at the airport definitely goes right on top. I'm not saying there is no healthy food, but I am saying that Cinnabon is the most nutritious meal there. OY! But I prevailed and bought an egg, bacon and cheese burrito and didn't eat the tortilla. Another "I Deserve A Medal" moment. Thank goodness the flight was only 40 minutes. No way I'd starve in that short of time - I'm told that takes AT LEAST an hour!


EVIL AIRPORT FOOD
The Bestie and I went immediately to visit The Favorites aka Fontenots. They finally birthed my new nephew on New Year's Eve and the 5 days since I last cuddled him and quietly whispered promises in his ears about all the poor choices I would be encouraging over the next 18 years almost killed me. His parents and Nana were also home, but they were really just a distraction from my mission to smell him. You can't understand that statement if you have never held babies, but They. Smell. AWESOME.

Bonus to visiting The Favorites (not dubbed because of their standing in my life, but because no mater how many times I add their last name, my spell check refuses to acknowledge it as a word), Mr. Favorite is the Low-carb King. He immediately reinforced my previous day's research about my health and told me that his mind was mushy until his recent carb-intake increase. That sold me. I mean, how many people need to tell me that my internal organs are rapidly eating themselves before I give in??

While at their house, I stopped by their high-tech (read: not analog) bathroom scale. I had visited it 5 days earlier so for consistency I thought I'd see what rude things it had to tell me. Good news-bad news. As always. Still have 72 pounds until I reassess my goal weight, buuuuuuuuut ... down 3.6 pounds since Sunday. Progress progress.

After Newest Favorite began gumming my nipples, I knew it was time to go. My uterus can only be teased so much before it catches pregnancy from someone nearby and the situation was getting precarious. 


Confused nephew aka Newest Favorite

The Bestie and I now had to accomplish flip flop shopping in Dallas in January, eat lunch and find tan magnets (aka "sunscreen" low enough to encourage a tan on our winter skin but high enough to seem like we're being cautious of this "harm" people are always trying to tell me comes from sun). Because lunch was first, it was the perfect opportunity to rationalize the need my mind had for carbs. I properly had the Mongolian Griller add a small amount if brown rice to my meat & veggie bowl. I was instantly improved.

Maybe these 20 grams will also help me stay up past sunset?

Oh, and by the way, Dallas isn't a huge proponent of the "flip flop" as it isn't a snobby shoe style, but add trying to find them for under $30 in the winter. Who knew this would require 3 stores??

I did recently a new favorite snack that has just the right pick-me-up without filling-me-up and one of our stops actually had them in stock. An obvious sign from the Challenge gods to take a couple on vacation. Anyone tried Justin's peanut, hazelnut or almond butters? I was introduced to them by The Boy and they are YUMMY IN MY TUMMY. There appear to be a nice variety of flavors, including Honey PB, Chocolate PB, Chocolate HB, Maple AB. Altho they sell regular sized jars for your pantry, the individual 1oz to go packs are perfect for travel, workout recovery, office snack or afternoon energizer. 


Best part of our evening: Kathy Griffin. Seeing her live has been on my Bucket List for a few years now and it was so worth it! The Bestie and I have each had emotionally exhausting weeks and laughing at 2 hours of witty potty humor was the perfect medicine. That and hours of honest self-reflective conversation with my non-sexual soul mate really got my mind right. So right that I feed my late night comfort food craving with grilled chicken versus Mac 'n' Cheese.

At Kathy Griffin, Grande Prairie, TX

I even managed to make it to an easy 9:15 before I started chain-yawning. Fingers crossed that tonight I get into the double digits!

For those of you who prefer ClifNotes, today I:
1. Reversed effects of brain atrophy with brown rice
2. Smelled baby breath
3. Lost 3+ pounds
4. Laughed until my cheeks hurt
5. Made it 20% of the way thru the month

PREVIEW OF TOMORROW ---

Surprsie 3-day trip with The Bestie for her birthday.

See you in Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment