Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The End and The Beginning, All At Once

I keep saying I need to get back to my blog, and yet I keep not getting back to my blog. So as I sat down to write today, I started to recap the last 4 months of my 2012 Challenges and my life. Then I decided that it was more important to look forward than backward.

I will say the last 4 months of this year were long and difficult. Some of the longest months that I can remember in my life. I wasn't very good at my Challenge in August & September - I was distracted & exhausted by life and I let those things become excuses to be lax. October I pretty much let life go in general. My personal life was draining and a little uneven, to say the least. I ate poorly, I focused on myself at about a zero on the 1-10 Scale. 

November and December were mostly positive, upswing months for me. I did well in my Challenges, my focus was back, my personal life was still all over the place, but I was trying. My December Challenge - wearing no makeup - was an interesting challenge. It was difficult the first few days and I felt pretty naked and exposed, but the more people who said "I didn't even notice," or "You don't need makeup," the more I decided the 15 minutes I used each morning to do my makeup was a waste. I'm not sure that I'll go back to much makeup and I think my skin looks better after a month without it. I was a fairly exposing Challenge for me, literally, but I feel better after and I'll probably keep up with it long-term. 

Now for 2013 ...



I liked doing the 30 Day Challenges. I like how I feel pushing myself to do things I'm not sure I can, to try things I didn't think I would, to learn new things, to be different, to improve myself. So my 2013 resolution is to complete another year, another 12 months, of 30 Day Challenges. 

This year I'd like to be better at the blogging because altho it isn't a part of the actual Challenge, it helps me. It helps me stick to the Challenge. It helps me to be honest with myself. 

This year I'd like to get more people that I know involved in these Challenges too. It's fun when others are doing it too. 

This year I'd like to be more complex, more "challenging."

This year I will probably build on some of the Challenges from last year. I will also re-do some that I didn't do well at. 

Let's start with today, Day One, Month One, Year Two of "Challenged: 30 Days At A Time."


JANUARY: NO CELL PHONE



Yep. No Cell Phone. 

I know there was a time, back in the dark ages, that we didn't have cell phones, but for some reason, I can't remember how we survived. I have a land line (a.k.a. a house phone). Funny because 15 years ago most people didn't have cell phones and only had house lines. Now most people have cell phones and most cell phone users do NOT have land lines.  But because we use cell phones so much, most places I do business with, or register accounts with, or fill out paperwork for, only have my cell phone. In fact, I usually give my office number as the "alternate" when needed. And 95% of my friends and family don't have my house number. In fact, I'm so glued to my cell phone, that I text with people more than I talk on the phone. I email from my phone for work and personal more than from a computer. I play games and use apps on my cell phone - in fact games and apps account for at least 80% of the use of my cell phone. 

So for the next 31 days, for the month of January, NO cell phone use. That means no calls, no texting, no emails, no apps, no games. There are only two times that my phone can even be on:
(1) When I am at work, during work hours, and not in the office. That will allow my contacts and my staff to get ahold of me. But it can still only be by phone call, no emails, no texting.  
(2) When I am not at the office or the house and the kids' dad is at work (where he cannot use his cell phone). I can only have it on and can only answer the kids' calls and they can only call for emergencies  No phone calls or texting to ask me if they can have a cookie or go to a friends' house. 

I've already been laughed at a few times, I've been given the "More power to you," "How am I supposed to communicate with you?!?!?" "Better you than me," "Good luck with that." I've already been told I won't make it a week-and-a-half. My kids have already complained. 

All that does, tho, is fuel my fire. I will do this. I've driven across the country more than once without a phone, much less a smart-phone/pocket-computer. I can definitely live my life going from house to office with no cell phone. Right? 

Right??

Hello???


(hello?)


Okay, 2013 Challenged: 30 Days At A Time, Month #1: No Cell Phone. AKA Return to the 1990s


Now ... what to do with all the spare time that I won't be using to play on my phone?? 



Since I'm spending a month in the 90s, I guess I'll go to the mall.
                          Wearing my hypercolor shirt and Girbaud jeans.
With my ponytail slicked back with Dep & bangs hair-sprayed high. 
To cop those new Blackstreet, Coolio & BoyzIIMen. 
                                                                                                                                            On Cassette. 








...Day One, Month One, Year Two...

No comments:

Post a Comment