Monday, February 6, 2012

#18: Slow Out of the Gate

This is harder than I expected.

Today is Day 6 of this month's Challenge and I have only done my cario or strength 4 times. Because of some pain that I had been experiencing for 7 days, I skipped the first day of the Challenge; not participating in the first day was de-motivating. No, that's not the right word ... it was frustrating. Still not the right word, but I can't pull the right one up at the moment. In any case, it was not the ideal way to start this month off.

But Day Two I did my work, and altho I didn't feel like I'd really worked my total hardest, I did the work.  Day Three I didn't make it to the gym, but I did do a nice strength set at home that actually got my heart rate up to a nice level too. I woke up in the morning and in the downstairs of my house, I did 100 crunches, 50 pushups (which took forever, because I can only do about 10 in a row) and 100 lunge/squats. Every time I do this superset, the burn sets in and I know the next day I'm going to be sore, but that in the moment, that burn is such a high.

Day Four was a good day for me in this Challenge. I had out-of-town guests arrive Friday (Day Three) night to spend the weekend. Despite having them in town, I got up Saturday morning and hit the gym. For a longer session than normal, at that. I worked myself hard, pushed the level on the cardio, did more work. It felt really good. I don't seem to have any mental blocking about working out at the moment, which is good, because I often feel like as much as I love it, something is stopping me from getting going.

Day Five, yesterday I had every intention to hit the gym in the morning. I was hosting a family birthday gathering to celebrate four (4!) of the kids' birthdays. I started my morning with cleaning and organizing my girls' room, including gathering all the clothes my youngest has grown out of and all the toys not being used so we could give a big bag to our niece and nephew while they were in town. Suddenly, it was an hour from the time everyone would be arriving and I hadn't frosted any of the cakes or started the food. So, that took priority. Then everyone arrived and we had so much fun.

Side Note: I love when the family gathers and we have a crowded, loud house filled with adults and kids and food. It was a great time.

But next was cleaning and organizing from after the party. And sending off our out-of-town family. And then, not to be forgotten, the Super Bowl. And since my Giants were playing and I had a $500 bet riding on it, I, of course, had to watch that. But that meant that we now were at 9pm and there was no way I was going to the gym. So that would be two days of 5 that I hadn't worked out. Damn!!!

So today is day 6 and a workout is scheduled for this afternoon. And there is no way I'm skipping it. I'm feeling like, including today, I've done 4 workouts in 6 days. And only 2 of them were the kind of workout I really love with lots of sweat and burn. So I'm only floating around a solid C grade so far and that's not going to work.

I really need to get on this now. And I already know how much better I feel when I'm on it, so LET'S GET IT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment