Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I Can See Clearly Now, the Cleanse is On

In my previous post I was talking about this incredible clarity that I've been experiencing and, honestly, its just getting clearer. I can feel the detoxing and cleansing happening and the effect on my mind and thinking is impressive. This sounds ridiculous to ME even as I'm writing it, but I genuinely feel like I'm seeing some things with fresh eyes. 

The more I'm reading and researching and discussing with others, I'm recognizing that my body craves whatever it's used to getting.  This could mean that whether your body is used to whole wheat toast and peanut butter, creamy soups, sodas, burgers, fried chicken or salads, it will crave what it's used to. So know what you're putting in there, folks. And I can say with total honesty, that I didn't know and I'm scared by what I'm knowing now.

It isn't that I ate horribly to start with, but I am now understanding that I wasn't eating well for my body. I definitely drank coffee with dairy milk every morning, and sometimes again in the afternoon. I had soda a few times a week, a weekly burger ... the list goes on. And I didn't think I felt badly; I certainly didn't feel bad enough to notice it, I guess. 

Then along comes my 15-year-old, wanting to try this juice cleanse he read about at The Juice Bar in Austin. In a show of solidarity, I decide to do it too. He quit after the first day (in fact, as soon as the clock struck midnight, he ate) and here I am. Day Six complete. 

So what has it done for me that I'm suddenly so awakened to? It's cleared my body of toxins, chemicals, addictive substances like sugar and caffeine, and - most of all - bad habits. What I thought might feel like deprivation has become my preferred way now. Let me give you a couple of shocking-to-me examples:

1. I was wanting to taste a vanilla latte so I decided to get myself a half-caf vanilla latte on the way to work. First sip down, I knew I wasn't going to be able to drink it. I tried a couple more sips along the way, but not only did it not taste good, it didn't feel good IMMEDIATELY. I had a kind detox from caffeine because of this cleanse and it may be that I never return to the coffee-a-day start to each morning. 

2. I could smell the yummy goodness coming from the fresh baked cookies - mind you warm chocolate chip cookies are probably my favorite sweet - so I took a tiny piece. I'm pretty sure that no cookie I've eaten has ever tasted so bad. What the hell?!?!

And on the other side of the coin ...
3. I unexpectedly like, crave even, some things I have never slightly enjoyed before. What, you ask? Oh, let me give you sample list:
  • Beets - I can't get over this one. I've tried beets on a handful of occasions and NEVER liked them - even a little. Now I have them at least once a day - in a juice and/or on their own. They are one of my favorite things.     [[I'm SO CONFUSED!]]
  • Sweet Potatoes - never been a fan. So yummy now. 
  • Red Cabbage
  • Ginger - still only into it in my juice, but the flavor is now something I find refreshing instead of off-putting.
  • Kale - My mom has tried her best to get me to like this green. It was easily my least favorite. Now: Loving it! 
I'm eager to see what it's like when I "can" eat food. Will I still keep these realizations in the forefront of my mind? Will I stay cognizant and present? Will I make the better choices for my body and mind? Will I return to liking the tastes of things I know I shouldn't eat and my body doesn't really want? Will I treat myself to some luxury, like ice cream, and discover I no longer have the taste for it? 

I know for sure that I will spend some time over the next 4 days planning some good menus. And I'm no longer allowed the excuse of time because all week I've been making 5 juices a day - not an easy task - and cooking meals for the kids. I also want to read up on gluten free, dairy free, low glycemic, refined-sugar free, simple-carb free recipes and food choices. 

I'm especially excited to try many of the recipes posted on my friend Emily's blog,  Up Close and Edible (upcloseandedible.blogspot.com)

Well ... I've just finished talking crap to one of my besties about going to sleep so she can meet me at the gym at the crack-ass of dawn, so I better take my happy butt to sleep, too. 

Happy eating, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment