Monday, July 1, 2013

ASL Beginners Have to Eat, Too

Really wishing I had a close friend whose first language was ASL or who was, at the very least, fluent in ASL. I know from so much experience with other languages that immersion is my best learning method. Luckily I have my kids as partners in this because they really want to learn too, but really this is the blind leading the blind. What I really need is the Deaf leading the Blind.   No? 

So, first of all, as resources, I love SigningSavvy.com and the book Joy of Signing. SigningSavvy.com not only gives it's user background on the language, it gives a "translation" which I love. Just like Google Translate, you put in what you want to say and it shows you how. It also gives you the explanation of each sign, which makes learning so much easier. On that note, that's exactly why I love Joy of Signing. Every sign's origin is explained making it so much more memorable for me. 

The kids and I have started by picking out words we want to know how to say. Then sentences that might be fun. Then moved on to categories (which is how Joy of Signing is separated out).

First few signs we are digging:




Peanut Butter


Cereal


Bacon

If you know my family, you know that starting with foods, especially BREAKFAST FOODS, is no surprise at all.  We have learned toast, butter, sandwich, eggs, apple, pear, milk, banana ... 

Well, you get the point. 

I plan, er HOPE, we get to a point where we can prep, make and eat an entire meal using ASL this month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment