Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Anti-Inflammatory Meal Planning Creates Inflammatory Reaction

You'd think I'd told the kids they would be eating cardboard for meals. Yeezus Christ. 

So, my research of Anti-Inflammatory Eating has turned up a lot of great suggestions. And a lot of CRAP

WebMD.com and May0Clinic.com - which have become my new bible over the last couple of weeks as we sift through the trudges of learning about my 9-year-old's new health issues - have the best resources. Actually, what I like about both is that they link to other great resources instead of re-creating things they don't already own. I like the little people getting the credit. In any case, according to both, everyone in my house will benefit as we begin this new diet. Most notably, my body-image conscious high schoolers will benefit from the lower-case 'd' "diet" as though it's a Capital-D "Diet." 

Most of what I've found likens this to a cross of the Mediterranean Diet (great!) and eating Gluten-Free (...okay!). What does that mean? Oh, you know, eating really similarly to how we eat now, and changing a few of the items to a gluten-free version. I wish I had video-taped the reactions of the kids, tho. Actually, what I wish is that I had just changed the food in the house and the meals that I cook without saying anything because no one would have noticed. And anything that didn't taste good I could have tried to excuse as bad cooking technique. 

But the jig is up now. And I'm committed. I've tried to explain it as they will see a rise in energy, a decrease in body mass, lean muscle, lower fat. Probably see the scale move downward. These are all their goals already. And mine too, true enough, but I don't need convincing -- I'm on board. 

So, the food supply at the house and the meals we make as family will be a full-blown following of the Anti-Inflammatory Diet. I want to be sure that Maya can eat meals and snack freely without having to think too hard about it. This whole thing has been hard enough, scary enough, confusing enough, emotional enough, that I'd like to make her lifestyle change as trauma-free as possible. 

Now, does that mean no one can ever eat anything outside of this plan - ever?? Of course not. I'm just not footing the bill. Yup, that's how I parent. 

What the boys buy with their money to stock the pantry with, is up to them and their bank accounts.  What they eat when they are at school, a restaurant, with friends, with their girlfriends or when they take their own selves to the store is all good

There just won't be anything on supply from my wallet that doesn't meet the Anit-Inflammation criteria. 
They will appreciate it, they will eat it, and they will like it! <-- Did those threats ever work in parenting? My kids just roll their eyes and "guh-nore" me, as Kira says. 

So this mostly means eating whole food, no processed grains, no wheat, no sugar. Basically, it's eating healthy. What? CURSES!!!

If you're interested in following along, or trying it yourself, here is the best all-in-one-place guide I've found: Anti-Inflammation Food Pyramid & Guide

Okay, off to prepare tonight's meal of cardboard and chalk. *eye roll*

No comments:

Post a Comment